Get a free no obligation quote by filling the form below.
Maximise your Energy Efficiency
By following our simple tips you can cut your homes electricity use and maximize your solar system savings because the lower your electricity usage during your solar production hours the more electricity you get to sell!
It’s all about making simple changes to how and when you use power. As a general rule, to maximize your energy efficiency try to keep electricity usage to a minimum and if absolutely necessary try to use power hungry electricity devices in the early morning or evening – or even at night.
Just remember, changing a few small habits and getting 20% more energy efficient can add up to large savings over time.
Top tips for maximising energy efficiency
- Turn off lights and switch your bulbs. Turning off the lights when you leave a room and switching to compact fluorescent bulbs can make a big difference in reducing your greenhouse gas emissions and your bill.
- Insulate your home and your body. Look for ways to keep warm in winter without heating. Insulate ceilings, walls and your hot water heater, and wear a coat instead of turning up the heat. In summer the extra insulation will also help cut down on your air-conditioning bill!
- Switch to solar or gas for hot water heating. Switching to solar hot water or gas heating can save the average home up to a third of their electricity costs. We recommend our partners www.regenpower.com for their outstanding solar hot water systems.
- Switch off standby. As much as 10% of your home's energy use may be from appliances like computers, televisions and other home entertainment devices left on standby. Try to always turn off appliances at the source.
- Buy efficiency. When buying electrical equipment or appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers, try to choose the item with the highest energy efficiency rating.
- Open the window, turn off the air conditioning. Air-conditioning is a great contributor to greenhouse gas emissions and your electricity bill. In summer, open your window or use a fan instead of air-conditioning, and always turn off air-conditioning when not at home.
- Dry washing outside. With a bit of foresight it’s usually possible to use the power of the sun or a clothes horse instead of the dryer.
- Own just one refrigerator. Old, inefficient second refrigerators and freezers are huge energy users and often have other environmental issues such as leaking chemicals that damage the ozone layer.
- Close curtains to reduce heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer
- Run your air-conditioning and heating efficiently. There’s no need to set your aircon to 18 degrees in summer when it could still feel quiet pleasant at 22.
- Turn off your hot water system when you go on holidays. Chances are you won’t be needing it for a while.
- Use cold water in your washing machine. Heating all that water adds significantly to your bill and the clothes will be just as clean.
Special Solar System Energy Efficiency Tip
This tip won’t save on your total energy usage but will save you big dollars on your bill when you have a solar system installed.
If you have any of the following devices [swimming pool pump, spa, dishwasher, clothes dryer, washing machine] run them in the early morning or evening. The lower your daytime energy use the more you will save. It may even pay to do your vacuuming at night!
For more helpful energy efficiency environmentally friendly tips outside the home please click here.